Dear Woking Residents,
In these unprecedented times, it is important to highlight that each and every one of us has a very significant role to play in preventing the spread of COVID-19 in order to protect the most vulnerable in the community and reduce undue pressure on our NHS.
The Prime Minister Boris Johnson has been very clear to the
UK with his “Stay at home” message.
In doing so he has ordered all shops selling non-essential goods to close immediately for at least three weeks. He has banned more than one form of daily exercise and gatherings of more than two people.
People will only be allowed to leave their home for "very limited" purposes:
• Shopping for basic necessities, as infrequently as possible
• One form of exercise a day - for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household
• Any medical need, to provide care or to help a vulnerable person
• Travelling to and from work, but only where this is absolutely necessary and cannot be done from home
Police have been provided with additional new powers as part of the Coronavirus Bill 2020:
• Powers Relating to Potentially Infectious Persons
• Powers to Issue Directions Relating to Events, Gathering and Premises
For now, you will see a policing presence at key infrastructure such as (and not limited to) Supermarkets. This is to provide a reassurance to the staff at the locations, as well as the public whilst also dealing robustly with any disorder or offences.
My appeal to you is to abide by this government direction. This is not optional. I appeal to parents to parent their children and ensure that every one of you sets an example to your friends, family and neighbours by doing the right thing.
Woking Borough Commander
Message Sent By
Martin Stilwell (NHWN, MSA, Surrey)